Ayur means life and veda means the study of something. So, together, Ayurveda is the science or study of life. Ayurvedic wisdom helps in everything from maintaining physical health, balancing a diet, providing safe and effective treatments, and improving your mental and spiritual fitness. Vyara Nikolaeva Tosheva, Wellness Manager, The Retreat Palm Dubai MGallery by Sofitel takes a look at the Ayurveda way of maintaining mind, body and spirit wellness.
Importance of Dosha for overall wellbeing
Dosha can be regarded as a fault, mistake, error or a transgression against the cosmic rhythm. The doshas are constantly moving in dynamic balance one with the others. Every being either human or not is born with a unique balance of tridoshas which is called his prakriti. Also, all the bodily systems psychological and spiritual phenomenon is governed by this alone. Any problem, whether physical or psychological is caused by the imbalance in the tridosha. Similarly, any problem can be solved if these doshas are balanced. All treatments and principles of ayurveda are based upon one goal; that is to balance the tridosha.
Herbs and spices that purify blood
The following herbs help purify blood, eliminate toxins from the lymph system, kidneys, liver and the entire body
- Burdock: Premier skin herb, Diuretic, rich in iron.
- Dandelion: Contains phyto-nutrients and antioxidants, stimulates liver and pancreas to detoxify blood.
- Reishi mushroom: A Chinese tonic enhances liver detoxification, rich in Ganoderic acid.
- Basil: Antibacterial and Anti-inflammatory, Excellent diuretic, exceptional ability to purify blood.
- Red Cloves: Correct deficiencies in circulatory system, prevents clot formation, anti-tumor properties.
5 or 6 simple Ayurveda rituals that one can practice daily for an ayurvedic life style
Dinacharya/ Daily Regime
- Waking up: 2 hours before sunrise.
- Elimination: Drinking a glass or two of warm water helps in elimination.
- Cleansing of senses: Wash eyes with water preferably rose water and triphala.
- Brush teeth and scrape the tongue to purify mouth and the sense of taste.
- Jalaneti: Put a little oil in the nose and clean the sense of smell.
- Massage or Abhyanga: Self-Massage with warm sesame oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Exercise/ Vyayama: Preferably Yoga and Pranayama for 15-20 minutes.
Ayurvedic tips for weight loss
- Drink a large glass of warm water with organic lemon first thing in the morning
- Exercising to stimulate perspiration for at least 30-45 minutes daily.
- 10-15 minutes of relaxation to combat stress.
- Stick to 3 meals per day, no snacking. Follow proper food timings.
- Breakfast medium sized 7:30-9:00 am
- Lunch Large sized 11:00-2:00 pm
- Dinner small sized 5:30-8:30 pm
- Consume seasonal and locally grown vegetable and fruits.
- Diet should contain all six tastes.
- Short walks after each meal to facilitate digestion.
- Go to bed after 2 hours of Dinner.
Vyara Nikolaeva Tosheva
Wellness Manager, The Retreat Palm Dubai MGallery by Sofitel
Vyara’s extensive training in the Hospitality arena includes a degree in International Tourism and Hospitality and a Masters in Psychology and Sociology of Management. Along with getting certified in Spa and Hospitality management at the University of California, Irvine she has attended multiple training and seminar workshops on wellbeing and leisure topics. Vyara is a passionate fitness and wellness lover and is certified in various fields as Ayurveda practitioner, Personal trainer, Pilates, Aqua gym and wellness inventory coaching.
Vyara has a vested interest in wellbeing and women’s health in particular and has, in her spare time, taken courses in Women Fitness, Healthy Food, Self-Defense, Color & Image Consulting, Relaxation Therapies, Emotional Freedom Training and Autogenic Muscle Training.
About the Retreat Palm Dubai MGallery by Sofitel
The Retreat Palm Dubai MGallery by Sofitel, is set to become the Middle East’s first holistic wellbeing destination. The holistic resort will feature the world’s first ever Rayya Wellness Centre, inspired by a 360-degree holistic wellness concept, will offer the most organic, yet decadent relaxation and rejuvenation experiences imaginable.
For more information on The Retreat Palm Dubai MGallery by Sofitel visit www.theretreatpalmdubai.com