These restorative yoga poses will calm and reset your entire body and mind preparing you for ultimate relaxation, says Dionne from Urban Yoga.
1) Effortless Rest Pose
- Keep your feet hip distance apart and parallel. Tie a strap hip-width around the thighs so the legs can relax.
- Support the wrists to unlock the elbows and allow the shoulders to rest back towards the floor.
- Realigns the spine to optimal posture
- Releases tension in the lower back
2) Side Waist Stretch
- Lie over a bolster so that it is in the middle of the side ribcage.
- Roll the top thigh strongly inwards to that the hips are stacked
- Stretches the muscles in between the ribs and side body
– Cracked rib
3) Downward Facing Twist/ Adho Mukha Jathara Parivartanasana
- Place the bolster vertically so that it is centered with the outer hip.
- Spend time turning the abdomen across the bolster too that the navel is aligned to the centre of the bolster.
- Releases tension in the back muscles and creates more space in the ribcage by stretching the muscles in between the ribs
- Neck injury, turn to the side where the knees are pointing
- Shoulder injury, fold arms downwards and support shoulders
- Pregnancy, avoid deep twisting or compression in the abdomen.
4) Reclining Hero’s Pose/ Supta Virasana
- Centre the knees with the hip bones, roll the flesh of the calves back and outwards.
- If there is a big gap between the lower back and bolster add a folded blanket to fully support the back.
- Opens the shoulder, chest and rib cage.
- Stretches the feet, ankles knees, front thighs and hips.
- Knee injuries
- Lower back and sacrum discomfort
- Ankle problems
5) Legs Up the Wall Pose/ Viparita Karani
- Place the bolster horizontally on your mat and 2 – 3 inches away from the wall.
- Your sit bones should be as close to the wall as possible (depending on the flexibility of the hamstrings), make sure the back of the pelvis is fully supported by the bolster.
- Deeply restful and rejuvenating and very calming for the nervous system
- Relieves tension in the lower back
- Elevation of the legs creates a calming inversion, it improves blood and lymph circulation and aids blood return to the heart. Helpful for those who sit or stand for long periods or who experience swollen ankles.
- Mentrausation, lie flat
- Pregnancy after 3rd trimester
6) Reclining Bound Angle Pose/ Supta Buddha Konasana
- Position the bolster at the back lower ribs rather than starting in the lower back. This avoids lower back compression caused by the bolster pushing the lower back into extension.
- Make sure the neck and head are fully supported by the blanket so the forehead is slightly higher than the chin. This avoids compression and pinching in the neck.
- Releases tension in the ribcage, shoulders solar plexus and pelvic floor.
- Opens up and stretches the pelvis, inner thighs, abdomen.
- The restful nature of this pose balances the nervous system – helpful for people with low energy
- Knee or hip injury
About Urban Yoga
A NYC-inspired loft yoga studio with locations in Business Bay and Alserkal that provides yoga instruction for the urban & modern mindset.
Catering to Dubai’s modern and urban yogis, Urban Yoga provides anatomy-focused yoga instruction, which places the emphasis on your body and how to move it in way that will benefit you both physically and mentally. Urban Yoga teaches various styles and difficulty levels, allowing students to select the class that is suits what they are looking for. Our teachers, the “Urban Yogis”, are all Yoga Alliance certified and come from different types yoga backgrounds, each bringing their own style and energy to the class. With classes for different levels and different styles of yoga, you will be able to find the yoga class that is right for you. Leave feeling inspired & refreshed – and ready to tackle the rest of your life.
Born in London, Dionne’s yoga experience began over a decade ago and her explorations of yoga has led her to study with some renowned teachers of a variety of styles. She taught in London since 2008 and recently moved to Dubai she’s building a popular following at Urban Yoga, specialising in Vinyasa Flow and Restorative Yoga. Emphasizing awareness through precision and alignment of the body, making use of pranayama and meditation techniques Dionne teaches carefully selected postures that improves strength, flexibility and balance in the body and mind. Check out her studio classes and private one on one sessions at Urbanyogadubai.ae