Brush Up on These Healthy Habits to Keep Teeth Sparkling For Years
Health consciousness is a continually growing trend; and while keeping track of our daily nutritional intake is vital, so are those very teeth that chew our food. Besides creating sparkling smiles, healthy teeth help to avoid painful toothaches and even gum disease, which can lead to other problems if left unchecked.
Here are a few tips from Himalaya’s oral care expert and dentist Dr. Sara Hisham to keep teeth strong and healthy through the years –
- Drink Water between Beverages that stain your teeth such as tea and coffee since they contain strong alkaloids. If the liquid settles on your teeth for long, the stains will become more intense, hence rinse with lukewarm water after meals and then brush your teeth 30 minutes later. I would recommend to use Himalaya’s stain away toothpaste.
- Enjoy potentially staining beverages in moderation, use a straw while sipping on cold coffee or tea as the drink can then bypass the teeth. For caffeinated beverages served hot, request for a lid that comes with a built-in partial straw
- Instead of caffeine, switch to chewing sugar-free gum in order to stimulate the salivary glands that will in turn neutralise and balance the levels of acid in the mouth
- Follow a healthy and well-balanced diet of whole foods that include grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables, and dairy products. Omega-3 fats found in fish or available in the form of capsules help reduce inflammation and lowers risk of gum disease.
- Childhood dental care ought to begin from the very first tooth to prevent decay avoid cavities. Protective sealants applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth prevent decay in the pits and fissures and can reduce caries.
- Lastly, visit a dentist at least twice a year for regular check-ups, cleanings, and professional dental and oral care advice. Early detection and treatment of dental and oral problems and concerns can help ensure a life time of better oral health